How Do You Plan to Pay For College?
At CheapOnlineSchools.com, our goal is to provide you with as many cost-effective options so that you can make a sound decision on where to spend your tuition money. We’ve scoured online and offline databases and compiled a list of colleges that we feel provide a solid education, but won’t leave you drowning in student loan debt. While there may be ‘cheaper’ online colleges available, the universities that made our list offer a high degree of value, that combines several factors such as accreditation status, degree programs offered, available on-campus locations, student reviews, graduation rates, job placement percentages, professor ratings, and of course overall cost.
Before you take the plunge, be sure to consider our comprehensive list of cheap online colleges:
Western Governors University
- Information: WGU was founded in 1995 by 19 actual U.S. governors at a bipartisan meeting of the Western Governors Association. One of the goals of that meeting was to create a university to help solve the limited educational funds problem that the rapid population growth created. Aided by both the W.I.C.H.E Association and the N.C.H.E.M.S, their vision was realized and a cost effective, career focused University was born. WGU was incorporated as nonprofit university in 1997, and began accepting students in 1999.
- Average Tuition: $5,000 per year.
- Web Address: WGU.edu
- Programs Offered: Education, Business, Accounting, Information Technology, Human Resource Management, Nursing, Healthcare Management, and more.
- Accreditation & Awards: Regionally Accredited (NWCCU), NCATE, CCNE, and CAHIIM.
- Campus Locations: Online, Indiana, Missouri, Tennessee, Texas, and Washington.
- Information: Founded in 1965 by Henry & Suzanne Herzing, they are the only accredited, woman-owned, private university in the United States. They offer an incredibly large variation of accredited programs in multiple disciplines, with unsurpassed support and personalization for students earning their degree online.
- Average Tuition: $10,000 per year.
- Web Address: Herzing.edu
- Programs Offered: Over 40 programs in Healthcare, Business, Technology, Design, and Public Safety
- Accreditation & Awards: NCAHLC, WBE Certified by the NAWBO, Military Friendly recognized.
- Campus Locations: Ohio, Georgia, Alabama, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Louisiana, Nebraska, Florida, Ohio
University of Wyoming
- Information: The University of Wyoming was founded in 1886, and provides education to nearly 14,000 enrolled students from across 50 states and 94 countries. UW is located in Laramie, Wyoming, but offers a plethora of outreach education programs in Wyoming and online.
- Average Tuition: $100/credit in state residents OR $150/credit out of state residents.
- Web Address: UWYO.edu
- Programs Offered: Agriculture, Arts & Sciences, Business, Engineering, Education, Health, Nursing, Pharmacy, Law.
- Accreditation & Awards: Higher Learning Commission,
- Campus Locations: Online, Wyoming
Brigham Young University
- Information: BYU is a private university nestled in the beautiful mountains of Provo, Utah. The university is owned and operated by the LDS Church, and is considered the largest religious university, and 3rd largest private university in the United States. Although a large percentage of enrolled students are memebers of the LDS church, being a member is not required and non-church-member numbers are climbing.
- Average Tuition: $2,000 – $5000 per semester (depending on membership and state residency).
- Web Address: BYU Independant Study & BYU.edu
- Programs Offered: Education, Religion, Engineering, Family & Social Sciences, Psychology, Nursing, Fine Arts, Humanities, Law, Life Sciences, Physical & Math Sciences, Business, Information Systems, Computer Science, and much more.
- Accreditation & Awards: NWCCU, NWAC, Multiple Top Rankings (U.S. News & WSJ), and over 30 various national and state association & boards.
- Campus Locations: Online, Utah, Hawaii, Idaho
Louisiana State University
- Information: Louisiana State University was founded in 1926, and is currently located Baton Rouge, Louisiana. Their large campus boasts over 250 separate buildings across an impressive 650 acre plateau by the Mississippi River. Enrolled students is well over 30,000 students, making it the largest educational institution in Louisiana.
- Average Tuition: In-State-Residents $3000 – $4000 per semester (depending on area of study).
- Web Address: BYU Independant Study & BYU.edu
- Programs Offered: Agriculture, Art & Design, Humanities, Science, Music, Education, Engineering, Veterinary Medicine, Environmental Studies, Business, and more.
- Accreditation & Awards: SACS&COC, many top 100 national rankings, and several specialized accreditations.
- Campus Locations: Online, Louisiana